Important Questions to Ask an Adoption Agency in Ohio
When researching adoption professionals, how do you know which one will be the right fit for you? Your adoption agency will have a profound effect on your adoption experience, so knowing what questions to ask an adoption agency in OH and finding the right match is important.
Learning how to choose an adoption agency in Ohio involves solid information on the agencies you’re considering. Knowing what questions to ask an adoption agency in OH will allow you to make the best choice for your situation.
American Adoptions has helped over 13,000 families achieve their adoption dreams by providing the high-quality services and support prospective adoptive parents deserve. If you’d like to speak with one of our adoption specialists about what questions to ask an adoption agency in OH, call 1-800-ADOPTION or complete our online form to begin.
In this guide, you’ll learn the five steps for finding the right adoption agency. We’ve also included a few helpful questions to ask adoption agencies in OH that can guide your choice, so keep reading below.
How to Choose an Adoption Agency in Ohio in 5 Steps
Prior to learning how to find an adoption agency in Ohio, it’s helpful to understand the steps that go into this important choice. Your situation is unique, but you’ll still probably encounter these 5 steps when choosing an adoption agency.
Step 1: Determine the Type of Adoption You Want to Pursue
Before you can learn exactly how to choose an adoption agency in OH, you need to know what type of adoption you’ll be pursuing. There are three types of adoption, and each has its own specialized agencies.
If you’re planning to adopt an infant from the U.S., you’ll need a local or national private domestic adoption agency. Remember, there are certain pros and cons that come with both local and national agencies, so keep that in mind. However, if you’re pursuing international adoption, you’ll need a Hague-accredited international adoption agency.
Step 2: Research Agencies Handling Your Chosen Adoption Type
When learning how to find an adoption agency in OH, your next step is researching the agencies that match your adoption type and narrowing your list of candidates. You can start by seeking information online, including agency websites and online reviews posted by people who have experience working with those agencies.
Step 3: Contact the Agencies You’re Considering and Ask Plenty of Questions
You probably find a wealth of information online about the agencies you’re considering. But to truly get a feel for what you can expect from an adoption agency, you should speak with a professional personally.
After narrowing your list to just a few agencies, you can reach out to them with your list of questions to ask adoption agency staff. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to determine whether an agency is a good fit for your situation.
Step 4: Select the Best Adoption Agency
As a hopeful adoptive parent, you’re in control of choosing your adoption agency. After you’ve completed your research and gotten answers to the important questions to ask adoption agencies in OH, you can confidently make your decision by picking the adoption agency that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Step 5: Get Started with Your Adoption Journey
After learning how to find an adoption agency in Ohio and making your choice, you can start the adoption process. This may be the most exciting part of the adoption process because it means you’re one step closer to having the family you’ve dreamed of. With support from your adoption agency, you’ll be able to smoothly navigate the process.
Top 7 Questions to Ask Adoption Agencies in Ohio
We’ve covered the process of choosing an agency, but you may still be wondering, “How do I know what questions to ask adoption agencies in Ohio?” You can come up with your own list to fit your needs but below we cover a few that help highlight specific qualities and services offered by the agencies you’re considering.
While preparing these questions to ask adoption agencies in OH, keep in mind that the goal of the questions is to get answers that demonstrate qualities like:
- Transparency: Your adoption agency should be committed to honesty and transparency regarding things like the cost of adoption and what that cost covers. You deserve that respect, so accept nothing less than full candor.
- Professionalism: You also deserve the support of a fully licensed adoption agency that’s staffed with certified professionals who’ve earned degrees in social work or counseling.
- Clarity: Watch out for adoption professionals that promise abbreviated wait time estimates without verification or documentation. Only trust agencies that carefully track numbers and provide clear, accurate answers.
Read on below for a few common questions to ask adoption agency professionals in Ohio when seeking the right partner in your adoption journey.
1. Does your agency offer adoption disruption protection, and if so, what kind?
Adoption disruptions are difficult for everyone involved. Though they’re rare, they do occasionally happen. At American Adoptions, we strive to prevent disruptions through birth mother counseling, but we also provide an industry-leading financial protection program that offers a refund to hopeful families if an adoption disruption occurs.
2. What’s your average wait time for an adoption opportunity?
Like a few of the other questions to ask adoption agencies in OH, the answer will differ according to the type of agency you’re using. Remember, large national adoption agencies like American Adoptions generally feature shorter wait times than local agencies since we work with more expectant birth mothers from across the U.S.
3. How do you partner with hopeful adoptive parents to find adoption opportunities?
Adoption opportunities can come from several sources, including personal connections or aggressive advertising. You’ll want to know how agencies match parties in adoption. For example, national adoption agencies like American Adoptions use large advertising budgets to find possible matches nationwide instead of only in the local area.
4. How much does the average cost of an adoption through your agency?
Posing these questions to ask adoption agency professionals can help you determine if an adoption agency is dedicated to honesty and transparency regarding its costs. Not all agencies embrace candor, so you should question the integrity of agencies that charge recurring or hidden fees that go beyond your initial cost estimate.
5. WIll the cost of my adoption increase if I don’t find an adoption opportunity immediately?
Some unsavory adoption professionals may offer low-cost estimates to draw hopeful families in with the intention of up charging them for needed services later on. Others may figure estimates using a “best-case-scenario” price that doesn’t account for adoption disruptions or other complications. Be sure to compare the services offered alongside cost.
6. Is your agency fully licensed in Ohio?
Fully licensed agencies give you the confidence of knowing your adoption will meet or exceed the legal and ethical standards set for the state of Ohio. Partnering with American Adoptions means you also know we are licensed in all 50 states, so our practices are scrutinized by multiple states each year and meet the highest threshold of quality.
7. Does your agency have standards that go above the OH requirements for adoptive families?
Before choosing an agency, you should know if they have their own requirements that exceed the state’s criteria. For example, some adoption agencies have age and marriage requirements for adoptive families that aren’t prescribed in Ohio law.
How to Find an Adoption Agency in Ohio and Why American Adoptions is the Best Agency
At American Adoptions, we’re committed to creating successful adoptions, and we’re an industry leader in the field. You can rely on our compassionate, experienced professionals to offer the best support to birth mothers, adoptive families, and adoptees with a combination of kindness, compassion, and a commitment to ethical, professional service.
What makes American Adoptions the best adoption agency? Here are just a few benefits of partnering with American Adoptions:
- Shorter wait times: American Adoptions works with expectant women and hopeful adoptive families across the U.S. We heavily market our agency and our hopeful adoptive families through a variety of channels. The result is shorter wait times for adoption opportunities, with most families getting an opportunity in 9 to 12 months.
- More aggressive marketing: We promote our hopeful adoptive families more heavily than other competing agencies. In fact, working with American Adoptions means you’ll benefit from 12x more marketing than other competing agencies offer. That usually means a shorter path to building your family and becoming a parent.
- Honest, accurate wait time forecasts: We take pride in providing prospective adoptive parents with the shortest possible wait times, but we’re also committed to offering accurate wait time estimates. We work hard to balance the number of completed adoptions with the number of families we accept at one time.
- Fair, transparent cost estimates: When you partner with American Adoptions, you don’t have to wonder if you’ll get hit with rising costs and additional fees if your adoption match doesn’t come quickly. We strive to offer accurate cost estimates, and we don’t charge unpredictable escalating fees during the adoption process.
- Full licensure: Our staff is fully licensed to work on adoptions in Ohio. Our agency is reviewed annually to check our compliance with adoption agency standards. As a national agency, we’re held to a higher standard than local agencies because we are reviewed in all 50 states each year.
Parting Words on How to Find an Adoption Agency in Ohio
Finding out how to choose an adoption agency in Ohio can be simple if you know what questions to ask adoption agency professionals. Also, don’t underestimate the power of intuition when speaking with agency staff. If you’re comfortable with an agency and their answers, you can take your next steps in confidence.
If you have lingering questions, we’re here to help. If you’d like to speak with a professional about selecting the best adoption agency for your situation, please call 1-800-ADOPTION or complete our free online form. We’d be happy to assist you when you’re ready to begin.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.